Monday, January 4, 2021

Book Inspiration

 Did you ever wonder how I get inspired to write a story? I'll tell you how I thought of Yesterday's Tears. Over twenty years ago I went to an estate sale, and as I often do, I looked for antique quilts and stashes of old fabric. This quilt top is what I found that day. I believe it is from the thirties. The seams are pulling apart in some places so I always thought I would tighten them up someday and then finish the quilt the way it was meant to be. I began to wonder who had made it and I also wondered why she never finished it. Did she get sick and pass away? Did she begin to have trouble with her vision and couldn't see to quilt anymore? Or was she a procrastinator and just never got around to it? No one at the sale knew anything about it, and since it was the only quilt there, I began to think something had happened to prevent her from finishing. The fabric is still pristine. As a matter of fact it feels as though it was ironed and starched. There is a small rust stain along the edge which is what started my thought process about the story, but I never wrote it down until 2019. Now Yesterday's Tears is my best seller. How I wish she had had a moment to write her name on the back. This year my New Year's resolution, (which I never make) is to finish this quilt. I will quilt it by hand the same way she would have done, and with every stitch I will thank her for my inspiration.





No comments:

Post a Comment